Monday, August 24, 2009

I have created a monster...

Don't get me wrong, I love my son and I have enjoyed every second of him since his birth. I never cared about being sleep deprived and him not sleeping through the night because he wanted to nurse every 2 or 3 hours. He sleeps longer stretches now, goes down to bed usually around 8:30 and is asleep by 9 and wont wake up until 4ish to nurse and then clonks out until 7 or 7:30. So his sleep schedule isn't horrible, per say, just not awesome. 
Now, we had always nursed to sleep and little by little it's getting better because he will eat until he's full and then puts the paci in his mouth and rolls around the bed until he falls asleep. After he's asleep, I put him in his crib and he usually stays asleep. 
While I do love the bonding that co-sleeping creates I kind of wish that he would just sleep on his own! He wont put himself to sleep and he's almost a year old. I don't want to be ungrateful but I just want to be able to put him to bed and have him fall asleep in his own crib. I'm not asking for him to sleep through the night, at least not yet, but I really want him to sleep on his own!
This past two weeks or so it's taking me about an hour to an hour and a half to put him to sleep. He will nurse and then rolls around the bed for about 30 minutes. Sometimes he decides to sit up and play, other times it seems he's asleep but as soon as I put him in his crib he wakes up and starts crying. I will take him out and then he's fine, falls asleep again. I wouldnt mind sharing the bed with him, as I said, I like the bonding, but he's such a crazy sleeper! He kicks me in the nose and takes up the whole bed! If I put him back in the crib he cries. I let him cry but it just breaks my heart and eventually I cave because he cries so hard that it seems he's going to throw up. I know that if I say I'm going to let him cry it out I should just commit to it. But I can't! I can't have him screaming his brains out when I have to wake up at three thirty  to go to work. I need my sleep too and I don't have the luxury of him sleeping in a separate room.
So right now I'm hearing him cry and I'm not able to handle it...I have created a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment